Monitor Audio Platinum PL500 II
Measured against its peers, there is no finer audio ambassador than the majestic PL500 II.
Here you’ll discover the essence of Platinum II engineering: silken layers of the finest high frequency definition suspended on an explicit midrange, seamlessly underpinned by a deep, clean and responsive bass foundation. More than ever the sound has a physical authority, conveying the ‘live’ character of instruments, voices and atmospheres as if they had materialised three-dimensionally in the air around you.
This is fidelity in the raw, magnificent in stature, seductive for its rhythmic subtlety and utterly captivating in the sheer magnitude of its dynamic impact. Our most sophisticated system of no fewer than four 8" RDT II bass drivers, twin 4" RDT II mid-range drivers and MPD Transducer will render the entire harmonic sweep of every work with pin sharp timing and accuracy. Your music and film sound alive, immersive and uncompromised.
- 4 x 8" RDT II long throw bass drivers
- 2 x 4" RDT II mid-range drivers
- MPD (Micro Pleated Diaphragm) high frequency transducer designed specifically for Platinum II
- 4 x HiVe II ports
- Patented 'DCF' (Dynamic Coupling Filter) mechanism for more natural sound
- Bespoke speaker terminals and footings
- Underhung, edge-wound voice coils: greater driver efficiency and lifelike dynamics, less distortion
- Bolt through drivers: clearer sound and cleaner aesthetics
- Anti-Resonance Composite (ARC) mid-range housings and baffle components: reduced cabinet vibration, purer sound quality
- TLE (Tapered Line Enclosure) sealed internal enclosure for mid-range drivers: greater sound accuracy and reduced cabinet vibration
- Hand-upholstered front baffle: the very highest quality Inglestone leather supplied by Andrew Muirhead
- Individual driver grilles
- Finish options: Santos Rosewood or Ebony natural wood veneers with clear gloss piano lacquer, or Piano black gloss lacquer
3 Way – 7 Driver
Frequency Response (-6 dB - IEC 268-13)
22 Hz – 100 kHz
120 dBA (pair)
4 ohms (4.2 ohms min. @ 120 Hz)
Power Handling (RMS)
Recommended Amplifier Requirements
150 – 400 W
Drive Unit Complement
MF/HF: 3.6 kHz
LF/MF: 460 Hz
External Dimensions (Including Plinth and Terminals) (H x W x D))
1802.8 x 503.61 x 625.24 mm (71 x 1913/16 x 245/8")
External Dimensions (Including Feet and Spikes (H x W x D))
1848.1 x 503.61 x 625.24 mm (723/4 x 1913/16 x 245/8")
99.1 kg (218 lb 7 oz)
With 300 watts per channel the Hiato integrated stereo amplifier is a serious piece of equipment capable of driving big, difficult to drive speakers. It masters complex musical pieces that many dedicated power amps struggle with to give you spine tingling detail in the treble and control over the bass and mid range that is a pure delight.
If you are looking for an integrated amplifier solution in your music system but you don't want to sacrifice the benefits that true, well controlled power can bring then this amplifier is for you.
The rear panel layout includes four line level inputs and a user adjustable phono input. High quality WBT RCA connectors are used on all line level and phono inputs with additional balanced XLR inputs for CD and Line 1. It has RCA and XLR HT bypass input, remote IR input and 12V input/output triggers. There are four pairs of output connectors allowing bi-wired speaker applications, line level output for archiving and pre-out for bi-amping. The phono stage is optional.
On the front panel a small, unobtrusive 3.5mm jack allows a casual user to connect portable media, and the Hiato's full function remote control also operates the Plinius CD players.
Optional Phono Stage
The preamplifier can be fitted with an optional phono stage based on a scaled version of the Koru design. The Phono has four gain settings and five loading settings to allow for suitable cartridge matching.
The Line out provides a line level output, carrying the selected source signal. The Line Out allows for the signal to go on to recording equipment, headphone amplifiers or sub-woofer speakers.
Remote Trigger Input and Output
Terminals for remote trigger connection allow a processor signal to bypass the preamplifier stage or instigate the power amp to come out of standby.
The RC5 input allows for connection to wired remote interfaces so it can be used as part of an automated system.
Ground Lift Switch
This allows for the signal ground to be isolated from the main chassis earth. This can assist in resolving unwanted ground loops or hum due to duplicate ground paths in some systems.
WBT and Neutrik Connectors
High quality WBT RCA and Neutrik XLR input connectors are fitted along with WBT output speaker terminals to ensure low distortion interface between your cables and the amplifier.
Audience AV supply the Auricap XO capacitors used in key areas of the circuit. The Auricap was chosen for its superior clarity and dynamic ability.
Siltech premium 'G7' silver/gold wire provides a perfect connection between components to give clear, fast and detailed presentation of the music signal.
Audience AV supply the Auric OFC wire used in the input stage of the amplifier. The Auric was chosen for its high workability and natural sound.
The aluminium lid and panels provide a non-magnetic cover to reduce unwanted magnetic fields that can interfere with the sensitive audio signals.
- 300 watts RMS per channel into 8 ohms
- 450 watts RMS per channel into 4 ohms
- Both channels driven from 20Hz to 20kHz at less than 0.2% total harmonic distortion
- 20Hz to 20kHz ±0.2dB
- -3dB at 70kHz
- Typically <0.05% THD at rated power
- 0.1% THD and IM worst case prior to clipping
- 50A short duration peak per channel
- Fuse protected
- Typically 5µs
HUM & NOISE
- 90dB below rated ouput 20Hz to 20kHz unweighted
- 0.6A (138W) Class AB Idle
- 0.3A (69W) Standby
OPTIONAL PHONO INPUT
- RCA Unbalanced
- 50dB, 56dB, 60dB, 66dB
- 47k ohms, 470 ohms, 100 ohms, 47 ohms, 22 ohms
- Height: 170mm (7 1/2")
- Width: 450mm (17 3/4")
- Depth: 455mm (17 3/4")
- Weight: 25kg (56lb)